Sunday, June 16, 2013

Five Sleeps 'til Departure!

Wow...  once again I find myself amazed at how time flies as I can now count on one hand the number of days left until my flight to Orange County.

Despite the chaos, I'm finding myself closer to being ready for departure.  I think the physical act of packing is further ahead than my mental preparations. I was thrown a curve-ball this week at work, as a job that was supposed to have me out of the office for one day kept me away for three and I now find myself with two less days to tie up loose ends and get things organized for my co-workers when I leave.  Throw in a few late evenings and all of a sudden I haven't ridden my bike since Tuesday!  I'll call it "tapering" the week before the big event, but know I'm not even fooling myself.

Last weekend was a quick trip to Kelowna to see some friends and family.  I love the drive, and it was actually quite relaxing.  The beauty of traveling in mid-June is that there's no one else on the roads and things are so green!  I listened to two Oscar Wilde plays and realized he is not a feminist.  At all.  But he is funny.


The weekend in Kelowna was rushed, but well spent.  I went for a long ride on Saturday, followed by an evening with Grandpa, Dave and Sherry, Amanda, Natalie and her new son Noah.  Sunday morning Laurel and Nikki came by before church, then a whole slew of people were at the Kelowna CRC to talk to.  It was a quick bit of lunch after church and a photo-op in the green backyard with Mom & Dad, then back on the road to Calgary.  54-hours after I left on Friday, I was crawling back into my bed to rest up for my last full week of work.


Last night my good friend Rich helped organize a BBQ to raise a little more cash for the Sea to Sea, and send me off in style.  We dished out about 50 hamburgers and even more kabobs, and put our big back yard to good use.  Despite the rain that started our evening, the turnout was great! And the donations were plentiful - $909.55!

I'd like say a big Thank-You! to everyone who came out, and also to those who came early to prep and stayed late to clean.  It wouldn't have been such a great evening without everyone's help.


Looking forward, this week holds three more days of work, one day of packing, then a 9am flight to Vancouver, then on to Orange County.

Stay tuned to this site for more updates, and stories along the way.  To make sure you don't miss an update, enter your email address in the box on the right to get new posts sent straight to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment