Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 48/49 - Breslau, ON to Ancaster, ON

Daily Stats:
Time: 2h12m40s
Distance: 71.60km
Avg Spd: 32.4km/hr
Climbing: 436m

The ride on Saturday was short, and as such, the Top Guns were the last ones out of camp again, and intended on a fast ride.  We did.

Maranatha CRC hosted our first SAG stop, where a large number of day-riders joined us, including Ed (the 2005 & 2008 tour director), Matt (Peter Wong's friend and organizer of the 2014 Love in Motion) and their friend Greg.  We cruised along at a very rapid pace for the rest of the day, all the way to Redeemer College.

Almost immediately arriving on campus, I was greeted by John, Connie and Spencer Byl (my aunt & uncle).  They live in Hamilton, and have been putting me up all weekend, feeding me wonderfully and showing me around town.

I spent Saturday afternoon doing laundry and drying out my tent, then we went to the mall to try and get my cell phone working again.  It was strange being around so many people again, all of whom were unconcerned with my existence and the journey I am on.  Saturday night we went out for dinner, then watched a movie into the wee hours of the evening.

Sunday was a busy day - John & Connie's church (Meadowland Fellowship CRC) welcomed all the Sea to Sea-ers to join their service, and fed us a great chili potluck.

My friend Meghan Thomson and her friend Rachel came to visit from St Catharines after lunch, and we grabbed coffee and caught up on life and quizzed me about life on the tour.

At 3pm today we held a celebration service at the Redeemer auditorium, that was attended by almost 1,000 people!  I forgot my camera, but rest assured there were lots of people, and lots of cyclists.  I'm not sure who led worship, but the band was amazing.  Representatives from World Renew, the RCA and Partners Worldwide all spoke briefly about their work, and encouraged the cyclists to continue the good work.

Dinner tonight was home-cooked goodness on the BBQ with John & Connie.  We went for an after-dinner walk down at Bayfront Park with Spencer and Dexter.

Tomorrow we're back on the road to Ajax, along with 36 new riders.  It's hard to believe we've finished seven weeks of riding already.  Seven weeks!  In two weeks from today, this trip will be a memory, and we will all be returning to our regular lives.  But the best of the ride is yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Stephen, really close to the finish line. Congrats as its been a major undertaking.

    Gino

    ReplyDelete