Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 54 - Brockville, ON to Cornwall, ON

Daily Stats:
Time: 3h36m31s
Distance: 110.38km
Avg Spd: 30.6km/hr
Climbing: 339m

Today was our time trial day!  Ryan Bruxvoort organized a 16 mile (25.6km) route from SAG #1 to a church in Morrisburg that one of the riders congregation had set up.  A time trial is an individual race against the clock.  Riders leave the start line in one-minute intervals, and go as fast as they can without drafting anyone or anything else.  We don't know the results yet, as they will be announced at peloton this evening. It was a fast, flat course.  My GPS tells me I averaged 39.4km/hr for about 40 minutes, which is a fast time, but I don't know if it was fast enough to win.

Because of the time trial, I stripped my bike down, taking the seat-bag off, and only taking one water bottle on the road today.  I carried all my essentials (food, wallet, spare tube, pump, tire levers and multi-tool) in my jersey pockets.  My camera did not make the cut, so I missed taking pictures of the event.

Cool things we saw:
* Fort Wellington, where the war of 1812 was fought.  Karel got some fun pictures of the Top Guns storming the fort.
* The Long Sault Parkway that connects eleven islands created during the flooding of the St Lawrence river in the 1950s.  There is a beautiful roadway (freshly paved) that connects the islands, a gives riders some spectacular scenery.

Tonight we're staying a neat facility, too - the NAV Centre.  It used to be a training base for Canadian air traffic controllers, but has been converted into a hotel, conference centre and fitness centre.  The showers here were definitely the nicest we've had in a very long time.

And for good measure, he's a typical shot of what my camping area looks like.  Tent airing out, fly drying from morning dew, shorts drying on tent, towel drying on the bike.  But today I've got shade!

No comments:

Post a Comment